When Bob Miller and Cliff were appointed as the first news director and CEO of HPR respectively, they had no idea that their radio station would become a global phenomenon. Thanks to its various digital platforms, HPR now has listeners from all around the world. It was revolutionary for Hawaiians to be able to talk to each other on the radio in their own language. Kimura had to convince the broadcaster that this project was worth it, but once people heard their interviews on the air, they wanted to understand what their elders were saying in Hawaiian and be a part of it.
The location of the KGMB-AM tower and transmitter changed over the years until it was finally moved to the 1701 Ala Wai Boulevard site. Chief Engineer Gary Flynn and Deputy Director Doug Holland reconstructed the RCA-5D and put it back on the air in the 1970s. The tower was located along the Ala Wai Canal, in front of the former headquarters of Aloha Motors, which is now the Hawaii Convention Center. It is now the headquarters of Unity House and the tower has been dismantled. Saupe believes that “digital is still a border territory”, and he is grateful for being able to create content that is not carried away by the “constant” agenda of daily news programs.
The Radio Service bulletin of June 30, 1930 lists these frequency allocations to MTC for use as a limited public radio service (limited to public correspondence between fixed stations). Finnerty and Sandee Oshiro were awarded second place in the Radio II category for best continuous coverage by The Associated Press Radio and Television Association. In the late 1960s, the University of Hawaii at Manoa began a radio project to test the viability of an ALOHA channel. A founding member of Hawaii Public Television, he had considerable experience in the Wisconsin public radio system before moving to Hawaii in 1966. One of the first radio sites in Hawaii was the Kahuku radio station of the Marconi communications company RCA. Over time, the transceiver was declared a surplus and transferred to the original Hawaii Five-O series for use as an accessory for radio communications. The radio unit went from being a military radio operating in the 400 MHz military band, with its deviation and discriminator modified to accept a 19.2 kBaud modulation scheme.
Sometimes, the Army asked the radio station to broadcast during its usual rest periods so that bombers arriving from the west coast could use its signal as a means of radionavigation. In October 1920, Electric Shop in downtown Honolulu transmitted the first radio signals in Hawaii with voice and music. Radio Hawaii asked FCC in 1956 to increase KPOA from 630 to 650 kHz and increase its power from 5000 to 10,000 watts, a request that was granted after a hearing held in March 1958. The audience of Hawaii Talk Radio has evolved significantly over time. From its humble beginnings as a revolutionary way for Hawaiians to communicate with each other on air in their own language, it has grown into a global phenomenon with listeners from all around the world. The station's digital platforms have enabled it to reach more people than ever before, while its various locations have allowed it to broadcast further than ever before.
Additionally, its various collaborations with other organizations have allowed it to create content that is not carried away by daily news programs.